The center in Prague-Troja is normally open continuously 7 days a week, it is possible come for a retreat or introduction to meditation. Besides being continuously open, we also organize extra courses as listed below (see also our facebook page or contact us).
Schedule updates are posted at facebook.com/TisaranaPraha.
“Why must we undertake Vipassana meditation retreats? Because we search for happiness and want to liberate our lives and our minds from suffering. We go on retreats to cleanse and disentangle our troubled lives and minds. This experience frees our mind.” (Ajahn Tong)
Long Vipassana Meditation Retreat.
|The long meditation course is an opportunity to complete the basic/foundation course taught by Ajahn Tong. It involves intensive immersion into insight meditation and learning how to “practice like your hair is on fire (Dogen).” Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. Maximum 4 people overnight. It is also possible to attend for a shorter time. The retreat and teaching are on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.|
Metta (loving-kindness) Meditation Weekend.
Students will learn how to do Vipassana (insight) and loving-kindness meditation. Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. A maximum of 4 students can stay overnight. It is also possible to attend for a day. Cost 500 kc per day. Teaching on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.
“Greed and selfishness are washed away by giving, sharing, helping and contributing to the well-being of others.” Ajahn Tong
Long Vipassana Meditation Retreat
|The long meditation course is an opportunity to complete the basic/foundation course taught by Ajahn Tong; “we practice insight meditation based on the four foundations of mindfulness to achieve sublime happiness.” It is an intensive immersion into insight meditation. Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. Maximum 4 people overnight. It is also possible to attend for a shorter time. The retreat and teaching are on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.|
Love (Metta) and Forgiveness Weekend Retreat in Troja.
|During the retreat students will learn how to do Vipassana (insight) and loving-kindness meditation. In the spirit of the Christmas and the New Year the focus will be understanding and practicing forgiveness. Ajahn Tong teaches that “a person in the grip of vengefulness is like a person with a high fever. If the mind is filled with hate and anger, the mind is hardened.” Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. A maximum of 4 students can stay overnight. It is also possible to attend for a day. Cost 500 kc per day. Teaching on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.|
Vipassana Meditation Weekend.
The weekend will begin with instructions how to practice Vipassana (insight) meditation. There will be group and individual practice and talks about meditation. Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. A maximum of 4 students can stay overnight. It is also possible to attend for a day. Cost 500 kc per day. Teaching on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.
“If we wish to free ourselves from unease and attain true peace and bliss, we need to practice Vipassana meditation with the four foundations of mindfulness.” Ajahn Tong
- Newsletter #15 (11/19/2018) - Dear Meditators We are happy to inform you that Ajahn Tong Sirimangalo is coming to Prague on the 3rd of December. Everyone is invited to meet him. Details about Ajahn Tong’s visit and the Winter meditation courses at Tisarana are below. Ajahn Tong in Prague (3-4 December)DonationsAjahn Tong’s visit to EuropeWinter Meditation CoursesNovemberDecemberJanuaryPilgrimage Ajahn Tong […]
- Newsletter #14 (4/23/2018) - Dear Meditators There is no time like Spring, When life’s alive in everything, ‘Spring’ by Christina Rossetti Please check out Tisarana’s Spring and Summer Course schedule. Everyone is invited to meet Thanat, the International Director of Meditation, who will be visiting the center on the 10th May. In addition to being open everyday for retreats […]
- Newsletter #13 (6/11/2017) - Dear Meditators Ajahn Tong’s visit to Germany attracted many Thai and Western students. We are very grateful for his support and wish him good health and strength. Other Tisarana news; Thanat and Kate have donated a large Buddha statue to the center and Václav Šmilauer has received his teachers certificate. We are still looking for […]
The center is open 7 days / week and provides teaching and conditions for the practice. The courses are on individual basis, without the need to wait for some date — special courses (as announced in newsletters) and regular meditation groups being an exception to that.It is possible to come for
- introduction: talk to the teacher and get an idea what is this all about, try the practice for an hour or more;
- an arbitrary number of days (one day, or several); coming for a part of a day;
- basic course with the duration of 21 days; it is possible to finish earlier, but you must discuss this with the teacher per e-mail in advance;
- 10-day retreat – for those who have already done the basic course;
- home retreat − for those who have already done the basic course and 10-day retreat, subject to agreement with the teachers;
- weekly evening meditation group, Tuesdays 6pm−8pm, with the possibility of talking to the teacher. Group meeting involves a talk by the teacher, introduction to practice for newcomers and joint meditation.
The center is located at the address Na Kazance 636/3, Prague 7−Troja. It is easily accessible by public transport or car. It is near the Prague ZOO, and can be reached on foot from the Stromovka park as well. It faces the riverbank and is rather quiet.
- Take tram no. 17 (it crosses the whole city from south to north), get off at the Trojská station; take the bus 112 from there, 2 stations to “Čechova škola”, or walk along the street for about 10 minutes.
- Take the C (red) subway line, get off at Nádraží Holešovice, take the bus 112 (goes every 2-5 minutes during rush hours), get off at the Čechova škola station after about 7 minutes (the station is on-demand).
Use your navigation to get to the street Na Kazance. That’s where you can park.
Getting off at “Čechova škola”, walk in the direction as you can, take the first left. If you come by car, that is the “Na Kazance” street, suitable for parking.
Go to the very end of the street, tu right; you will see the dark orange rug on the veranda of our center.
The house number is 636/3; you will see our sign at the house door. Ring the bell marked “Meditační centrum”.
Looking for help
Please spread the information about the course, including to people abroad. We also appreciate volunteers for one-time or regular help, such as bringing a cake, giving hand at the course start with moving, picking people up at the airport and such. One can offer your help in general, without commitment, and we will contact you when a particular need arises.
Thanks to the generosity of good people, the course can be entirely donation-based this time. We nevertheless hope to cover the costs with your donations. They will be used to cover course expenses: flight tickets for teachers, rental of the house, operating costs. Thanks in advance!
Things to bring
If you come only during the day, you don’t need virtually anything.
- We will provide meditation cushions and pads, you can also bring your favorite one with you. Chairs will be available, if you prefer them to sitting on a cushion.
- Comfortable lose clothes, preferably light colors (traditional lay color is white). There will be some blankets in the center, if you are cold during sitting.
- Slippers, towel, …
- Thermos bottle; there will be various teas and coffee at your disposal, you can bring your own.
- Countdown timer for meditation (walking, sitting); we will have some if you don’t, alarm clock to wake up in the moing (students can bring their mobile phones but they will be kept by the teachers and only be available for emergencies).