The center in Prague-Troja is open 7 days a week for the 21- day basic course (start possible anytime, please contact the center), a retreat, or an introduction to Vipassana meditation. Besides this, we also offer additional courses as listed below (for updates see facebook or contact us).
Schedule updates are posted at facebook.com/TisaranaPraha.
“Why must we undertake Vipassana meditation retreats? Because we search for happiness and want to liberate our lives and our minds from suffering. We go on retreats to cleanse and disentangle our troubled lives and minds. This experience frees our mind.” (Ajahn Tong)
Update January 2022
Tisarana will be closed for retreats and groups from the 10th of January until the 7th of February. Calls will be forwarded to Ondrej. Anna and Jonathan are available for home retreats and support via Whatsapp.
Regular Tuesday Group
Every Tuesday from 18-20h, registration via phone, SMS, or WhatsApp +420 722008067 or +420 770139967.
Long Vipassana Meditation Retreat.
|The long meditation course is an opportunity to complete the basic/foundation course taught by Ajahn Tong. It involves intensive immersion into insight meditation and learning how to “practice like your hair is on fire (Dogen).” Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. Maximum 4 people overnight. It is also possible to attend for a shorter time. The retreat and teaching are on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.|
Metta (loving-kindness) Meditation Weekend.
Students will learn how to do Vipassana (insight) and loving-kindness meditation. Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. A maximum of 4 students can stay overnight. It is also possible to attend for a day. Cost 500 kc per day. Teaching on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.
“Greed and selfishness are washed away by giving, sharing, helping and contributing to the well-being of others.” Ajahn Tong
Long Vipassana Meditation Retreat
|The long meditation course is an opportunity to complete the basic/foundation course taught by Ajahn Tong; “we practice insight meditation based on the four foundations of mindfulness to achieve sublime happiness.” It is an intensive immersion into insight meditation. Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. Maximum 4 people overnight. It is also possible to attend for a shorter time. The retreat and teaching are on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.|
Love (Metta) and Forgiveness Weekend Retreat in Troja.
|During the retreat students will learn how to do Vipassana (insight) and loving-kindness meditation. In the spirit of the Christmas and the New Year the focus will be understanding and practicing forgiveness. Ajahn Tong teaches that “a person in the grip of vengefulness is like a person with a high fever. If the mind is filled with hate and anger, the mind is hardened.” Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. A maximum of 4 students can stay overnight. It is also possible to attend for a day. Cost 500 kc per day. Teaching on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.|
Vipassana Meditation Weekend.
The weekend will begin with instructions how to practice Vipassana (insight) meditation. There will be group and individual practice and talks about meditation. Beginners and experienced meditators are welcome. A maximum of 4 students can stay overnight. It is also possible to attend for a day. Cost 500 kc per day. Teaching on donation. Contact Jonathan and Anna to register.
“If we wish to free ourselves from unease and attain true peace and bliss, we need to practice Vipassana meditation with the four foundations of mindfulness.” Ajahn Tong
- Newsletter #15 (11/19/2018) - Dear Meditators We are happy to inform you that Ajahn Tong Sirimangalo is coming to Prague on the 3rd of December. Everyone is invited to meet him. Details about Ajahn Tong’s visit and the Winter meditation courses at Tisarana are below. Ajahn Tong in Prague (3-4 December)DonationsAjahn Tong’s visit to EuropeWinter Meditation CoursesNovemberDecemberJanuaryPilgrimage Ajahn Tong […]
- Newsletter #14 (4/23/2018) - Dear Meditators There is no time like Spring, When life’s alive in everything, ‘Spring’ by Christina Rossetti Please check out Tisarana’s Spring and Summer Course schedule. Everyone is invited to meet Thanat, the International Director of Meditation, who will be visiting the center on the 10th May. In addition to being open everyday for retreats […]
- Newsletter #13 (6/11/2017) - Dear Meditators Ajahn Tong’s visit to Germany attracted many Thai and Western students. We are very grateful for his support and wish him good health and strength. Other Tisarana news; Thanat and Kate have donated a large Buddha statue to the center and Václav Šmilauer has received his teachers certificate. We are still looking for […]
The center is open 7 days / week and provides teaching and conditions for the practice. The courses are on an individual basis, without the need to wait for some date — special courses (as announced in newsletters) and regular meditation groups being an exception to that. It is possible to come for
- an introduction: introduction to the meditation, app. 1 – 2 hours
- short retreat (one day, or several)
- 21-day-basic course, it is possible to finish earlier, please discuss this with the teachers in person or per phone in advance
- 10-day retreat – for those who have already done the basic course
- home retreat − for those who have already done the basic course and 10-day retreat, subject to agreement with the teachers
- weekly evening meditation group, Tuesdays 6pm−8pm. There will be a talk, an introduction for new students, and group meditation. SMS or phone to register.
The center is located at the address Na Kazance 636/3, Prague 7−Troja. It is easily accessible by public transport or car. It is near the Prague ZOO, and can be reached on foot from the Stromovka park as well. It faces the riverbank and is rather quiet.
- Take tram no. 17 (it crosses the whole city from south to north), get off at the Trojská station; take the bus 112 from there, 2 stations to “Čechova škola”, or walk along the street for about 10 minutes.
- Take the C (red) subway line, get off at Nádraží Holešovice, take the bus 112 (goes every 2-5 minutes during rush hours), get off at the Čechova škola station after about 7 minutes (the station is on-demand).
Use your navigation to get to the street Na Kazance. That’s where you can park.
Get off at “Čechova škola”, walk in the direction as you can, take the first left. If you come by car, that is the “Na Kazance” street, suitable for parking.
Go to the very end of the street, turn right; you will see the dark orange rug on the veranda of our center.
The house number is 636/3; you will see our sign at the house door. Ring the bell marked “Meditační centrum”.
Thanks to the generosity of good people, the courses are donation-based, we nevertheless hope to cover the costs with your donations. They will be used to cover course expenses: flight tickets for teachers, rental of the house, operating and administration costs.
What to bring
– loose-fitting, comfortable clothes that cover shoulders and knees
– a light blanket or shawl for sitting meditation
For a longer stay:
During a retreat, students are asked to observe the Eight Buddhist precepts.